Former San Antonio Spurs Psychologist Hillary Cauthen will file a criminal complaint accusing Joshua Primo of exposing himself to her multiple times during private sessions.
Cauthen has also filed a lawsuit against both Primo and the Spurs.
According to the lawsuit, Cauthen met with Spurs general manager Brian Wright in March to discuss her accusations against Primo, but “nothing was done about Primo’s behavior,” per Tom Orsborn of the San Antonia Express-News.
Cauthen worked as a performance psychologist for the team. The lawsuit that was filed Thursday in Bexar County alleges that 19-year-old Primo exposed his gentiles to her nine times “despite her numerous complaints about Primo’s improper sexual conduct to the organization’s leadership.”
The psychologist spoke publicly about the allegations against Primo for the first time Thursday in an emotional press conference where she wept openly about the situation.
Cauthen was accompanied to the press conference by her attorney, Tony Buzbee. The two alleged that San Antonio failed to react appropriately when she informed them of Primo’s repeated offenses. The team and free agent guard are being sued over the alleged indecent exposure, per the lawsuit filed Thursday in Bexar County, Texas.
Primo’s attorney, William J. Briggs II, released a lengthy statement denying any wrongdoing on his client’s behalf. The statement read in part:
“Josh Primo is at the beginning of a promising career and has been devastated by these false allegations and released by the Spurs. He is in the process seeking treatment to deal with the trauma inflicted on him by Dr. Cauthen’s misleading allegations, in addition to the previous trauma he suffered as a child. He looks forward to clearing his name and to moving forward with his NBA career.”
According to the suit, Cauthen notified GM Brian Wright about Primo in January before meeting with Wright in March, where she expressed her discomfort over working with the rookie guard alone.
In April after the team kept calling on her to meet with Primo, she informed Wright about further concerns and frustration over treating him, the suit says. After Wright asked her “what consequence” she felt would be appropriate, she told him the team needed to address the situation, and the GM responded that the franchise’s legal team would be in contact.
She later met with lawyers and legal counsel for the Spurs, who disclosed that her investigation would be opened and that she should avoid contact with Primo.
During the press conference, Buzbee said other women hadn’t contacted him about Primo. Still, he expects to hear from more in the coming days amid reports that Primo has allegedly exposed himself to others.
“It’s not about money, obviously,” Buzbee said. “This is about putting in place formalized protocols. … This needs to change and it needs to change now.”
Buzbee previously represented 24 women who sued Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson for sexual assault or harassment when he was with the Houston Texans. Watson is serving an 11-game suspension from the NFL.